The Construction Specialist is responsible for providing technical & construction field support to the Infrastructure Engineering & Construction team and manage the execution of construction projects
- Provide technical & construction field support to the Infrastructure Engineering & Construction team on Greenfield and Brownfield projects
- Provide field oversight & monitoring on behalf of the project owner on major renovation and construction projects to ensure projects are completed in accordance with design intent, project goals, quality, budget, costs, schedule & contractual requirements
- Monitor on-site Construction Managers and General Contractors to verify their performance & compliance to Design Specifications
- Strong project & site supervisory skills. Can effectively liaise with a diverse group of Project Participants & Stake Holders (Owners, Engineers, Consultants, General Contractors, Sub-Contractors, Suppliers & Regulatory Agencies)
- Assist with the preparation of project technical designs, scoping, specifications, drawings, RFP’s/RFQ’s, cost estimates, execution plan, construction schedule and timelines
- Strong general knowledge of various engineering disciplines in construction (Architectural, Civil, Site Services, Structural, Mechanical & Electrical Systems, HVAC Systems, Building Life Safety systems such as Sprinklers, Fire Protection and Alarm Systems)
- Post-secondary education in Architectural & Construction Technology is a definite asset
- Experience & background in construction of industrial buildings is a definite asset
- 5-10 years’ experience in the field of Construction Project Coordination/Site Supervision is preferred
- Ability to read and understand advanced detailed engineering drawings, construction shop drawings and technical specifications
- Ability & knowledge to work safety in a construction environment
- Good understanding of all Health & Safety, Environmental regulations and various Building & Safety code standards such as the Ontario Building Code, Ontario MOL-OSHA Green Book, NFPA, ESA, TSSA
- Good command of the English language is required
- Excellent computer literacy & skills (MS Office applications) required
- AutoCAD skills would be a definite asset
- “Roll-up your sleeves” can-do attitude and eager to learn
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines
- Role requires a vehicle for travelling between site and off-site locations
- Flexibility to work weekends or evenings when required
- Customer and Product Centricity – Responds to the needs of both internal and external customers in a timely and courteous manner, showing a sense of urgency; always keeping our products front and centre.
- Flexibility, Agility, Adaptability – Adapts to changes; changes strategy in response to new information; responds appropriately and quickly without having all parameters defined; demonstrate tolerance for speed and uncertainty.
- Team Work and Collaboration – Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and methods of communication to gain agreement or acceptance of a plan or activity. Is effective in building constructive relationships; uses tact; interacts with others in an open, friendly manner, encourages collaboration.
- Passion for Excellence – Always looks for ways to improve effectiveness or efficiency, making recommendation to increase productivity in quality of work; develops innovative solutions, challenges the status quo. To be the best, never compromising.
- Drives Execution – Takes risks, learn from their mistakes, builds trust and is a role model to others. Has a “hands-on” style; is aggressive in achieving desired results.